Monday, October 31, 2011

What I Owe - A Photo Essay by Dipti Desai

These images were shot in Lalbagh and this photo essay is an exploration of the gratitude we owe to the gardeners of Lalbagh.
As I continue to consume, discard, hoard, clutter and rush, I pause.Sometimes.
Interrogating my pseudo responsible, malnourished consciousness. Every single day, as I walk or wait under a tree, I am aware of undeservingly becoming the recipient of a conserved space and its Spirit. The unheralded guardians of genius loci of every conserved space heal the acrid human spirit. With humility and magnanimity they sow, toil, nurture, 
for the ones yet to inherit it.

This awareness challenges me to dwell and remind myself of the gratitude I owe them. With every column of mortar rising in my city, a tree
dies, the dryad cannot afford to die. For he, has chosen something larger.

An ecologically and socially valuable premise as this, fosters social interactions and contributes to well being in more ways than one can
acknowledge. My ingratitude so far is inexcusable and I present these series of images in honor of every gardener of every space as this.

Dipti Desai is a freelance Photographer. She lives and works in Bangalore.

This Project is supported by the Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Limited under the Robert Bosch Art Grant 2011, made to 1.Shanthiroad Studio/Gallery, Bangalore.

No comments: